Tuesday, March 2, 2010

6 Days, 5 Cakes, 1 Woman...

In a nut shell, I bit off more then I could chew last week when I said... "I'll make it!" when asked to do cakes.

The first one was for my niece Jessica's 17th birthday.
I made a vanilla rainbow marble cake on Sunday (21st Feb) and then on Monday I cut it into a 1 and a 7 covered it in purple basic icing and decorated it.

Next it was Zoey's birthday cake that she wanted to take in to school and share with her class. She requested a rainbow rainbow cake.
I made the cake on Tuesday, almost the same as I did for Jess's, just put the mix in the baking dish in a different way.
Then on Wednesday morning I cut it the best I could to make a rainbow shape and then made up a meringue frosting to go over the top.
This was the first time i'd made this type of icing, while it was delicious, it was extremely sticky and messy, so I cant see myself making it again in the foreseeable future.
Anyhoo, after I let the frosting set a little I got out my glitter icing pens and drew the coloured lines on it, wacked on 7 candles and it was done.
It was greeted with 25 WHOAASSS when I walked into the room with it.

This is what some of the inside looked like its missing the blue and orange

When I got home from Zoey's school (around 3:15) I made a start on the next cake.
My first ever attempt at a carrot cake for my sister-in-law Robyn.
Like with every cake I cook there is some sort of visit from the drama llama, this time he came twice.
The first time in the form of misreading the recipe which said one teaspoon of cinnamon, my hubby relayed to me it was one tablespoon. But the batter tasted OK still, I just had to hope that the cooked version did too!
By now I was starting to run out of time VERY quickly and I started getting a bit flustered.
Without thinking I lifted this gargantuan cake of the rack to put it on the tray not thinking that it had barely come out of the oven.
Guess what.... it cracked! In three places! ARGHHH
Ahh well, at least I didn't drop it on the floor.
I didn't have a clue how to make cream cheese icing for it so I made purple lemon icing instead, I was surprised at how nice it turned out.
And again after icing I decorated. Please pay no attention to the canyons in this one :P


During the day on Thursday, I started making the fondant bits and pieces for Zoey's cake for Saturday. for 4 and a half hours I sat there cutting, rolling, shaping and toothpicking things to attach to the main cake.
Thursday evening I made, for the very first time, an orange cake!
This cake was for my brother-in-law Chris.
I let it cool over night and the next day I decorated it.
First thing was digging a hole in the cake for the blue jelly to sit, then I crumb coated it let that set then made orange flavoured & coloured icing to go over that and stuck the lollies on.
I did the top first then each side one by one as I stuck malt sticks all around.
I had one side to go, and I ran out of malt sticks so I went shopping, came home and baked the cakes I needed for Zoey's cake's for the following day.
Then I filled the pool added more jelly babies and it was done with an hour to spare before the party.

Next... the cake that had been haunting my dreams for 2 weeks.
Zoey's castle for her party.
Like I said earlier, I started making this one on Thursday.
Friday night after we got home from the party, I stuck the 2 chocolate cakes I made earlier in the day together. Rolled out a massive lot of pink fondant and placed it over the cakes.
Smoothed it all out then stuck the 4 towers and the top bit on to it, followed by the flowers and the grass.
With a big sigh, I was finished and went to bed.
Now, remember how I mentioned the drama llama likes to visit? well this time it came in the form of a 3 year old.
While I was in the shower Saturday morning, Jack decided to do some redecorating. He pulled one of the towers of, squished the fondant in places and stabbed holes in it with a toothpick. You can quite clearly see one of the holes in the front right tower.

Top view
Close up
In the end everyone seemed to love their cakes.
As long as someone appreciates it, thats all that matters to me.
But maybe next time ill put a limit on how many cakes I will make in a week.
Special thanks to my amazing husband that put up with me stressing, helped in the kitchen and did all the washing up after. You are my angel!

2 comments:

~~Kallie~~ said...

Katie ... Awesome, incredible, amazing, unbelievable, fantastic. Five superlatives to match five cakes. I couldn't have done it.

Liz

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.